Thursday, June 01, 2006

kenya, merton, and lives fully lived




“If we want to be spiritual, then, let us first of all live our lives. Let us not fear the responsibilities and the inevitable distractions of the work appointed for us by the will of God. Let us embrace reality and thus find ourselves immersed in the life-giving will and wisdom of God which surrounds us everywhere. “

From Thoughts in Solitude by Thomas Merton
(Farrar, Straus and Giroux, Publishers, New York, 1958) Page 46-7.

merton gives words to the spirituality of the christians we encountered in kenya, people unafraid to live their lives as fully alive human beings loved by god in order that they may love others in god's name.

some of them like those in this photo, give of themselves with no thought for their own welfare. they have nothing materially, the hiv positive kids they take care have nothing materially and very little relationally, but a more hospitable welcome to complete strangers - us visitors - you could not imagine. tea and mundazi (a triangular-shaped donut kinda thing) had a heartfelt prayer said over them in god's name before we had our 'second breakfast' for the day. the plaque on the wall says it all....

the children are taught school by these lovely folks in a tin, open-sided extension so that if the anti-retroviral drugs work, at least the kids will have some kind of chance at making life more than a survival begging or digging through other peoples' rubbish.

please pray for these folks, and the kids they love. and pray for yourself, that you may have their courage to live fully spiritual lives here on earth.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was good to switch on my computer tonight and find out you have resumed communicating with the world. And I liked what you wrote about “Lives Fully Lived” based on your experiences in Kenya. I look forward to reading more of your thoughts and experiences, which as you say will take some weeks to process. Africa has such a proud and rich history and culture. I do feel some unrealistic hope that Africa will rise again to present a challenge to the orthodoxy of our current mono-culture. .

Unfortunately, the awful deaths of 3,000 people on 9/11 have had more impact on our lives than the daily casual holocaust of the 30,000 children in Africa who died every day last year through poverty - one every three seconds as we know from the “Make Poverty History” campaign of last year.

Hopefully, during this year, a few less children will die each day, and we must rejoice in every life saved. But for me the “Make Poverty History” slogan was more than just about Africa. To me it was a global slogan, embracing also the emotional and spiritual poverty of people we encounter in Walthamstow. I have often used my comments to your blogs to advertise the Wednesday Night Soul Space in St Mary’s.

It was good to see you at Soul Space in St Mary’s on Wednesday evening - with you wrapped in sweater and anorak after your return from a warmer climate. But Soul Night for me on Wednesday night was a troubling one, for I entered St Mary’s and was met by a huge display about the novel “The Da Vinci Code”.

I have a great respect for Scientists and Artists and Historians and Biblical Scholars. Some are certainly worth listening to. They can stir our imagination. The article by Collin Hansen so prominently displayed in St Mary’s was the opinion of one “expert”. But we know that “experts” will often passionately disagree with each other. Real truth is surely to be found in “lives fully lived”, in a spirit of Faith and Love. Real truth is not to be found in the words of “experts”.

I particularly objected to the phrase “The Church has done its best to vanquish challenges to Orthodoxy”. Orthodoxy as we all know is simply the form of words agreed by a committee living in a very different culture, with a very different use of language. Faith however is a living, growing, dynamic thing. I like the definition of faith as being:
“Faith is putting your hand out in the dark … and finding it held”

As an atheist, my understanding of Christianity is that it is all about feeling a sense of a personal relationship with Jesus. Surely it does not matter to people’s faith whether or not Jesus was married, or did or did not have a daughter. We shall certainly never know the historical facts for certain. But does that matter?

However, back to “Soul Space”. We all need soul space. One of my contributions to St Mary’s Wednesday evening “Soul Space” has been to ensure the “Welcome” sign is displayed outside the church door, for I feel it encourages the casual visitor to wander in. I foolishly mentioned to you that this sign was falling to pieces, not knowing you well enough to realise I would end up volunteering to repair it on Saturday morning, with my absolute inability at any DIY work. Normally I would be carrying out such a task with a reasonable amount of joy. But I will be doing it with a heavy heart, wondering if I am welcoming people into a church which has become defensive and self centred and self absorbed. I do not know if I will be able to return to “Soul Space” and feel comfortable and welcomed.

I will be having one of my three annual Sunday visits to St Mary’s on Pentecost Sunday, which to me is the most important of the three major Christian festivals. It is the one which I consider most relevant to me as an atheist, with my faith in the capacity of the Human Spirit. I hope someone will take the time and trouble to explain to me on Sunday why St Mary’s is making such a big fuss about Dan Brown’s book, which I personally did not feel was an especially significant or important work. It has all been said many times before. Surely Africa and Walthamstow deserve a much greater fuss from Christians.

rev tc said...

hi lawrence,
good to see you the other night too, and thanks for your usual thoughtful post on the blog.
i think perhaps you've kisunderstood the reasons simon put the davinci code stuff there. rather than being defensive about faith, he's actually trying to do the opposite - get people to engage more fully with gospel and culture as it affects our daily lives, and in the process learn and grow together and become 'bigger' in our faith as we try to become more like jesus.
anyhoo, make sure you collar simon at church and have a yarn with him about, as i'm sure he'd love to speak with you.
bless you mate.