Sunday, April 02, 2006

i'm back!!


have been away for a few days doing a mixture of things: on retreat, introducing a young friend to fellowship afloat with a view to her checking out the volunteer post of 'assistant cook' (which she didn't take, and so its still vacant - check out the fact site here for details, and pass them on to anyone you think may be interested as they need someone quickly); put my boat, 'blue vinney'', in the water for an early start to the season (see the picture taken just before she went in); attended bishop's council away day; and then helped a mate to put his boat back together.

back in the saddle now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, why'd you call her 'blue vinney'? I like it, btw...

rev tc said...

simple - it was the name she came with!
but apparently, according to some kind of sea-lore, its bad luck to change a boat's name. there are numerous accounts of boats with name changes suffering severe damage or total loss after a new owner changing the name.
and is she a 'she' or 'he'? well, traditionally boats have been of the female variety, but there's also a smaller tradition of them being male. i can't make up my mind about the gender thing. vinney is very masculine, and reminds me of my first car, a 1967 vw beetle, that i used to call 'vinney', and vinney was definitely male.
and then there's the name of blue vinney itself, which is a form of blue cheese from devon - but she doesn't smell like blue cheese. she did come from down that way though, which may account for it....

Anonymous said...

Good to see you back - I was thinking I would have to send you an old fashioned postcard.
Your days away sounded as if you enjoyed them - but I wonder about the Bishop's council.
Your description of the naming of the boat made me smile, reminding of my times on Sundays at St Mary's, when you talked in your very (very!)individual style with conviction and passion and humour