Monday, May 15, 2006

bono as editor of the independent

(from U2.com)
This is just a quick heads-up to check out The Independent newspaper this Tuesday.

For one day only the paper has a new editor - Bono!

The Independent, one of the UK's leading quality newspapers, has become a media partner of the Red Campaign, the organisation founded by Bono and
Bobby Shriver to get the weight of the corporate world behind the fight against HIV/AIDS in the poorest countries.

On Tuesday the paper goes RED when Bono takes the editorial chair. He has already been commissioning articles - word is that these feature the designers Stella McCartney and Giorgio Armani and a conversation between Bono and the comedian Eddie Izzard.

New photographs by the artist Sam Taylor-Wood will be published for the first time while the US Secretary of State, Condoleezza Rice, will choose her Ten Best pieces of music.

According to the Independent website, 'Bono expects to do everything an editor does, from chairing the morning editorial conference to writing headlines and choosing pictures.'

On Tuesday half the paper's revenue will go to RED to help fight Africa's Aids crisis.

Pick up a copy on the day and support RED yourself.

More about RED - http://www.joinred.com/


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought Bono did a magnificent job.
I notice Tuesday's Independent is being sold on e-bay for £10, with at least some of the sellers saying they will donate 50% to RED.

I thought Damien Hirst's reference to Genesis 1.27 was excellent, but could not understand RX or 4.8ONO.

I loved Bono's comment about Motorola's motivation behind their new RED phone.
"I do not give a damn what their motivation is. No one should give a damn about my motivation either. The important thing is that the AIDS drugs get to the kids".

I thought you were supposed to be in Kenya.

Anonymous said...

ps I forgot to thank the St Mary's Community for providing me with yet another great "Soul Space" at their church at the standard weekly Wednesday evening 8.30 pm to 9.30 pm slot.

I like the way people feel free to wander in and out as they please, and how each person who leads it does it differently.

I find it excellent that I never know what it is going to be like when I turn up, just as I never know how I will be during the time.

Pass on my thanks to the considerable number of people who seem to be involved in providing this "Undescribable time"