Friday, November 10, 2006

Anger and Peace: Psalm 4

The cry of an angry man; a desperate man; a man who has been some time without hearing from God. He seems to think of himself as a godly man whom God has set apart for himself and whom God will listen to when he calls out.

Is this arrogance? Or is it perhaps, someone who knows who he is in God’s sight? Someone who knows that he is known by God; loved, valued, and treasured by God.

I know that these thoughts are true for me, too. Is that perhaps why I feel a little frustrated, angry at the thought of having to prove myself and my call to the priesthood to those who don’t even know me? Verse 4 says, “Be angry, but sin not; commune with your own hearts on your beds, and be silent”.

It’s OK to feel the way I do, but keep it to myself and don’t let it distract me to sin.

Father, you know me, and you know what you’re doing with me, far more than I do. Give me your peace as I trust in you, please.

No comments: