Sunday, November 05, 2006

i count a success


from the icount website:

More than 25,000 people packed Trafalgar Square and closed surrounding roads to make their voices count, each one calling for urgent action on climate change.

The carnival-like event was the first of its sort for ‘I Count’. It brought together a huge range of supporters from the Women’s Institute members to Miranda Richardson.

Johnny Borrell, lead singer of Razorlight, who performed live on stage said:
“Today is all about showing that together we make a difference, together we can send a message, together we can stop climate chaos and together we count.”


wish i coulda been there, but my current state of brokenness forbade it.

did anyone go?

more pictures here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I went to the ICount march, I thought the apmosphere was absolutely amazing.

It was sad to see that the Popworld guy was out to destroy the whole thing with offensive, and contraversial comments, which were not needed at all.

But the speakers and the DJ/images, were so moving and powerful, a few tears fell from my eyes.

My goodness. I wish Blair couldve been there, and felt the vibes.

And Razorlight performed America, which really got the crowd going. It was very relevant, to the situation.

Yep, so I thought I'd add these thoughts, I'm afraid I'm not sure how I found this blog, but there we go!

Naomi, Isle of Wight

rev tc said...

hi naomi,
thanks for letting us know what it was like.
i sometimes wonder if the politicians ever think they'd actually like to go to these things to experience them first-hand....
there's nothing like actually going on a march or something big - telly's virtual experience just doesn't cut it like actual experience.
did you come all the way from isle of wight for the weekend?
if so, sheesh, that's solid commitment!

Dom said...

The compere - Simon Anstell - was indeed entirely inappropriate, out of his depth and had completely mis-judged his audience, which rose above his comments in its lacklustre response to him and its enthusiastic support for the speakers. What encouraged me was the huge range of people there, from unusually-pierced teenagers to dressed-for-rambling retired folk. Let's hope the momentum can be maintained.