Saturday, January 28, 2006

kenya briefing

today i spent in the company of a group of about a dozen other curates from chelmsford diocese as we learned something about our forthcoming trip to kenya in may. chelmsford diocese is sponsoring part of the trip to our partner dioceses in kenya as a 'ministry enrichment experience'. they simply want us to experience another culture and learn from our brothers and sisters.

so, today we did some stuff like: learning a few phrases in swahili, hear something about how we'll need to dress (much 'smarter' than i normally do!), make a list of first-aid and health stuff to take, hear about how anglican culture is likely to be more highly thought of by idigenous people than by some of us, work through the itinerary, hear about what is likely to be expected of us by the locals etc.

i'm really looking forward to it as i've never been to africa, and will feel the shock of culture as i'm sure i never have in the past. and i'm thinking there will be some solid reflecting on life and faith on my return. spare me a prayer...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

will def be praying for you, and your other trip partners!

Anonymous said...

Hey I didn't know you were going to Kenya - when did all this occur? Nobody tells me anything...!

rev tc said...

thanks for you prayers 'anon'.

and amberzon, aren't you glad of the blog then...!? you never know what might turn up on it.
merst

Anonymous said...

My thoughts exactly, I'm your DAUGHTER and I didn't know?!! Wierdly I'm wearing my seshue-shue (not sure of spelling) skirt today, twighlight zone and all that...

I think its great they're getting you prepared before you go, particularly with cultural aspects. So when you off then?!!