Friday, March 10, 2006

Ignatius: “Friends in the Lord: The Tension between Companionship and Mission”, Part 3

Ignatius' idea of ‘maintaining union of hearts through regular correspondence has a feel that is so different to today: the speed and volume of communications through electronic means can lead to hurried, unthoughtful responses that become unworthy of creating a substantial body of work. I’m aware that I create those kinds of responses myself. I recall Archbishop Rowan Williams saying how he dislikes email because it tends to require an immediate response rather than a considered one.

I suspect that part of my desire for cathedral life has to do with being part of a community of people who have the time to get to know one another and who engage with mission in the world. It’s the call of the ‘missionary monk’ that I’ve often said holds a fascination for me. Being a community of friends who love one another, worship God together, and work in the world together in God’s name. I think I’d like that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Tony

It seems much more than 72 hours since I last corresponded with you …. Lent has begun for me … my words would have felt empty-false-dishonest. I am reminded of “Male-Pale-Stale,” a phrase used by one of the contributors referring to the hierarchy during the recent Synod debate on woman bishops. And that phrase still makes me smile.

And Lent has to be about smiling as well as everything else. The “God” of the Old Testament appears so different from the Jesus of the Gospels. I remember the phrase of the Scottish Communist Jimmy Reid:
“If there is a God, I hope it is Jesus”

The synod debate on Women Bishops (as televised on BBC Parliament) impressed me, for the dignity-respect-compassion with which it was conducted (on TV anyway!). I like the Anglican Church in that it tries to stay as a broad church, rather than a neat and tidy one. I am grateful to St Mary’s welcoming me as an atheist to their “Soul Space” on Wednesday evenings. The variety of music gave me brief glimpses of the infinite aspects of what I call I am happy to call the “infinite”.

Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony, aptly titled “Ode to Joy” troubles me and brings me hope, as it describes so well the tension between “Mission and Companionship”, but I could write all day about that one. Can we be more than “Ships that pass in the night?”.
Thanks again, Tony, for helping me to turn, yet again, to “Ode to Joy”.