Tuesday, March 14, 2006

sailing in the snow



had a fabulous weekend sailing at fellowship afloat. its a great sailing centre situated at tollesbury, on the blackwater estuary, in essex.

i was there for the shakedown weekend to deliver the spiritual program that i based around the question, 'better safe than sorry?' it was linked to the biblical story of peter walking on the water when jesus called him to come. you can listen to the talks by entering the volzone link on their website.

fellowship afloat have been going for about 30 odd years, and the shakedown weekend is a major part of their investment in the volunteers who are absolutely necessary for the successful operation of their sailing centre. they have been very succesful in developing a large and continually developing group of people with an age range of around 15 - 65. that investment comes in various forms like training through offering rya courses that give volunteers a discounted rate for obtaining sailing qualifications, developing and challenging spirituality, offering opportunities for overseas trips of service to poor communities, helping people develop real and lasting friendships.

and this weekend was a fabulous part of that on-going story of doing something worthwhile in a lovely little part of the world.

and man it was cold! on saturday we were sailing in snow, very cold air temperature with a windchill factor thrown in.

these photos were taken at the end of the day, but unfortunately you can't see the snow flakes floating around.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good morning, Tony

The weekend sounded “fabulous” (= fable = myth = the vital importance to human beings of what we call “myth”).

There is something about the sea … the ocean … (and beyond) …. which gives us a glimpse of “The Infinite”
I am reminded of the song “From a Distance”
From a distance
The Ocean
Meets the Stream
And the Eagle
Takes to Flight

And “Fellowship Afloat” is an inspired name. I have never sailed (too scared - or never been shown how?). And I have only “glimpsed” fellowship. (Too scared?)
One of the favourite poems I have written is entitled:
“A cry for help to each other”

Take me with you
In the Spaceship
Of your Heart
Help me find a World
Which I have only glimpsed
For I have always lived
Within an Inner Darkness
Help me rub shoulders
With this World
A World I feel
I cannot join
Except
For brief encounters
In a pretend,
Performing way
Before plunging back
In fear and need and doubt
To half a life
To not-a-life
Inside
My tight lipped coffin

Thanks again, Tony, for reminding me as an atheist that fact I keep forgetting: - that inside me there is a “fabulous” Power-Vulnerability-Need

Weird Hippy said...

I've only been to fellowship afloat once and cheating by taking out a speed boat. Man it must of been freezing, i played football sat and that was bad enough.

rev tc said...

lawrence, why don't you come to the sailing weekend at fellowship afloat with the church, from 23-25 june?
get some info from me at church this sunday - at which i'll be looking at the beginnings of contemplative prayer.