Friday, March 03, 2006

Ignatius: Fruitful Labour - The Tension between Prayer and Action, Part 2


I’ve been thinking about something I read in Carlo Carretto yesterday, and that he learned from John of the Cross. It concerns the movement from discursive to contemplative prayer. According to John, there are 3 signs that indicate that movement:

1. We lack the desire to use the imagination;
2. The imagination and the senses no longer have the will to think about specific things; the things of the earth offer no consolation;
3. The soul wants to remain still, directed towards God alone. It desires inner peace, quiet, and repose; it no longer feels the need to use the human faculties.

He goes on, “This third condition is good. If it is present in the soul it justifies the other two. If I have difficulty in meditating on God, if I no longer succeed in fixing my attention on one mystery or another in the life of Jesus, on one truth or another, but I am craving to remain alone and motionless and silent at the feet of God, empty of thought but in an act of love…it is something great. It is one of the most beautiful secrets of the spiritual life. (pp46, 47).

This passage articulates something of how I feel. I find great joy in simply being still before God. I don’t want to be engaging in meditative exercises like I used to. I just want to sit still and be quiet with God.

Sounds mad coming from an activist like me! Therein lies the creative tension.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good Morning, Tony (or Goo’Dae as you may say)

Part of my journey through lent is to read though your previous day’s blog early in the day. I woke this morning (as I do normally) with the “creative tension ” between
- Seeking“Innerpeace-quiet-repose”
- Continuing trying to “make a difference in the world”
Lent for me is trying to find a new way to live with this “creative tension”

I proudly have the label “severely mentally ill” (meaning I am more in touch with the infinite inside of my emotional life than most people), hence I am always interested when people use the word “mad” as you do in your article.

Two of my guiding quotes for my life come from the world of “so called mental illness”.
"Insanity is feeling successful in a sick society" (Scottish Psychiatrist R D Laing).
"For most people the process of 'growing up' is one of moving from 'new life' to disillusioned adult" (Fairly well known psychotherapist Adam Phillips.

A group of us had met last night with our Local MP on a particular issue - I know he will do his best for us, but I also know it will not be enough. The “world” gives an easy answer to this “creative tension”: “do not bother - just blame someone else“.

Reluctantly I have to accept today that my “inner life” is clearly telling me that I must continue this particular campaign by first of all trying to seek some “Inner peace- quiet - repose”