Saturday, February 18, 2006

follow the leader, part 3 (luke 9:23-27)

I find these thoughts quite difficult for myself. I don’t want to be nobody, or to die. But I do want to follow Jesus; and I would say that I’ve been trying to do that for almost 25 years. Humans have the common experience of dying, and it only happens once. But Jesus talks about taking up the cross every day and figuratively, dying every day. So the renunciation of self he speaks of is as complete and total as death, and it needs to happen on a daily basis.

Because he says its got to happen on a daily basis, does that mean he realises that we’re incapable of renunciation happening as a single event, completed and done once? Even in his total and uncompromising demand, do we see here evidence of his grace and mercy toward us as he realises and takes notice of the reality of our limitations as human creatures?

Lord, my mind stretches as I try to grasp more of who you are, what you’re like, and how you treat me. Grant me a greater capacity to appreciate you, and a greater willingness to renounce myself for you, and an understanding of how to daily die in following you, I pray in your name. Amen.

No comments: