Saturday, February 18, 2006

muslim rally




zoe and bree spent a little bit of time around trafalgar square today as the muslim community continued to protest about the danish cartoons and the excesses of the protests. (see the differences between the bbc story about the london rally, and the guardian unlimited story about what's going on libya because of the behaviour of an italian cabinet minister).

they (zoe and bree) said the mood was very good, but they were the only white people they saw right in amongst it in the square itself, apart from the police presence. they did think that about half a dozen 'masked men' amongst the demonstrators was the only thing that gave them an uncomfortable feeling.

made me think that if we want to have some kind of dialogue with the muslim constituency, then we need to actually be in some kind of proximity.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being part of a Christian community means that even though I live in the same neighbourhood I don't have any contact with muslims. I've found being part of TELCO (the East London campaigning organisation) has helped me stand side by side with people, meet and share with people of all faiths and none. St George's RC are part of TELCO and have had actions to improve the tube facilities (esp safety) in Walthamstow. It is a totally different way of doing politics and relies on building relationships. Let me know if you would like to know more. Rachel

rev tc said...

thanks rachel.
yep, it would be good to know more. you can email me from the address shown in the view my profile section of the blog.