Thursday, February 23, 2006

loving and lamenting apples

the fabulous girls over at wonderland are doing a series on hope actions. it was hope action 3 that caught my eye the other day - buy bramley apples.

it connected with an action i took about this time last year, prompted by an article i'd read by george monbiot. george was lamenting the loss of the traditional english apple, something the wonderland girls also refer to. i'd encourage you to take the time to read george's article, as its very sobering in terms of global and multi-national pressures that are working together to reduce the abundance of diversity in god's good earth to being bland, tasteless, and mono-cultural.

the action i took in response to george's article was that i emailed him to ask for contact details of the orchardists he referred to, so that i could buy meself a couple of traditional english apple trees to put in the backyard. and bless him, he responded with the details. its a simple action that any of us can take, as apple trees don't take much room, don't take much to look after, we keep a bit of heritage alive and give 2 fingers to the multi-nationals who want to feed us crap.

my 2 trees cost £25 each, and are very happy in our backyard. i was very happy in the process of planting them, i am very happy every time i look out the window and see them growing, and i anticipate the happiness when i eat the first of their crop. strangely, i don't experience that same kind of happiness with supermarket apples that have travelled half way around the world and taste like nothing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed reading this guy's article, he has a pleasurable writing style. I'm going to hunt down a copy of Hogg & Bull's 'Hertfordshire Pomona' for my reference library.

Anonymous said...

which I might add, you can get on CD rom I believe, and yes I know, I wrote Hertford but I meant hereford

rev tc said...

glad you liked it amberzon!